Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

Gymnastics

Lily had her normal Monday gymnastics. Typically there are just two kids in her class. One kid had a melt down and went home. That meant we got to spend time with the teacher talking about her skills, reverse psychology, and being and Olympic gymnast. Much to my husband shock and amazement Lily is not heading toward the Olympic gold. For her it is just about having fun. While she does have skills it is clear it is more about fun for her than doing things exactly like she is suppose to.
It got me thinking how many of us push our dream wants and goals on our kids. Or looking at their skills with the proud parent eyes instead of realistically looking at what are kids wants and needs are. I think I need to sit down and figure out what I really want Lily to get out of her childhood knowing that is going to shape her adulthood. I also need to figure out where that fine line is of knowing when to help motivate towards her goals and when it becomes push her to doing something she really doesn't want to do or just doing it for me and no longer the love of just doing it.

I think I am going to put something together for a wishing wall today. I think we are going to do it a little different since I dont have the holes in the wall set up but I do have card board scissors glue and magazines. I think we are going to do it collage style. Maybe even pull pics out of the internet. If I can figure out how to show pictures I will post our creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment